Tuesday 28 April 2015

Feeling peachy...

For some reason at the moment, I am having a hair growing spurt and right now feel like I should be auditioning to play the 'Peach' in James and the Giant One!

Along the way in my alopecia journey, I have had lots of short spurts of hair growth; always blonde / white and always incredibly short. Now the colour hasn't changed, but the length of hair growth and location certainly has...

I am fuzzy! There is no other way to describe it than fuzzy - whereas before my hair growth has been isolated to the areas you'd expect, eyebrows, lashes, some arm and leg hair and of course my head, right now, it is growing on my... face! Yes you did read that right; my face is currently covered in small, soft, white downy hairs that didn't grow even before my hair fell out. In fact, I can safely say I've never had visible hair there before and right now, this is kind of a bit odd!

The first thing I noticed was the sideburns - they have reached the grand old length of just over 1cm, which is the longest individual hairs I've had since I lost it all to alopecia. Nothing normally makes it past 2-3mm, so this in itself is worth a mention! My sideburns have grown (as you'd expect), but nothing else has - they stop short of my hair and are sort of floating in isolation. They're also blonde, and having been a brunette since the age of two, it's odd to think it might, just might, grow back blonde!

From there, on closer inspection I noticed the light dusting of hair across my forehead - no, not at the original hairline, but my actual forehead! The area between my head, where my hair should be and isn't, and my eyebrows which also should be and aren't, is now covered in these little soft hairs. It is spreading too - my cheeks are getting covered, as are areas of my skin! If it decides to go back brown, I risk looking like a werewolf / ape / human crossbreed!

In amongst all that, I have regrowth of eyelashes on one eye, while on the other they are falling out, my scalp is as smooth as a baby's bum and my arms are positively bereft of hairs! It's just my face that isn't and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it!

For now, I intend to leave it be - any hair growth before has soon seen fit to stop and bail, and I'm sure it won't be long until my hairy face follows suit! If it doesn't, then I'll be starting a Shakira-inspired she-wolf blog and you'll have to follow me there instead!

I guess all these ramblings simply serve to highlight the strange foibles of alopecia and medical hairloss, which extend beyond the hairloss itself; alopecia in particular is an unpredictable disease and everyday, I feel like I uncover something new!

Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment