Thursday 7 May 2015

#WigWorry: A windy day...?

A little while ago, I wrote about people having a #WigWorry, but haven't had time to write one since! It's time for another one though and this one is inspired by the weather outside!

I'm not sure about everyone else, but right now, in my area there's some gale force winds roaring around, and despite not being as cold, they're giving the mid-winter gales a run for their money! Talk about windy! Well, one of the things many people worry about when wearing a wig is that it'll blow off and they'll be left exposed, feeling more than a bit nippy! So how can you prevent it whipping off?
  1. Buy a wig that fits... I know 'a wig that fits' sounds really stupid, but you'll be surprised how many people opt for the first wig they can find in desperate moments, or haven't got the experience to pick the right type of wig for them. When buying a wig, measure your head (I'll write a separate post on that), then ensure that the wig you are picking matches as closely as possible to your own measurements. If you can't find a close match, don't panic; I for one have 'abnormal' head measurements, with a large crown, small nape and medium circumference which makes buying an off-the-shelf wig more difficult. There's a solution for every head type though, so for me I opt for wigs with adjustable sections at the nape, enabling me to fit the wig to my head, but at the same time leaving room for the crown. I'll write a post on cap types too, but for the purposes of keeping this post simple, I'll simply advise you to pick the wig that fits. For some, it'll be an adjustable one, some will opt for silicone grippers and some will go for PVC they can glue. 
  2. Properly adjust it... Whatever wig you opt for, ensure that it is properly adjusted on your head for both maximum comfort and security. If it's too shallow or not properly fitting, there will be areas that are more susceptible to gaping or springing off. If your wig is properly adjusted, it should feel comfortable, without giving you a headache and will withstand a gentle tug backwards. Obviously it isn't attached, so it will come off with a hard yank, but gently lifting should confirm an element of security.
  3. Opt for added security... Personally, I don't need it, or particularly like it, but added security can be created through the use of adhesive tapes or glue. A few small sections will be just enough and no amount of wind will take it off. You can also add a beanie hat (because if it is windy, it's likely to be cold too), a hairband, or add a wig cap or grip band underneath the wig to ensure that it has additional friction.
Wind can be a bit of a pest to wig wearers and there will be times when it feels a little like it is lifting in the wind, but as yet, I haven't managed to lose mine on a windy day. To prove it, here is a YouTube video of the gale force winds blowing earlier in the week, and a make-up free, very grumpy faced video of me in my wig! Sorry I don't look a bit more enthusiastic, I was focussing on not being blown over!

The wig in this video is my trusty Codi from the Rene of Paris Amore collection, which is properly fitted on my head, has an adjustable nape which is tightened under my Ocsipital Bone (the lumps on the back of the skull) and has no tape, glue or wig cap. It is quite simply the wig as it comes, resting on my bare skin, blowing in the wind! Enjoy...


Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment