Thursday 26 March 2015

Would you date a bald girl?

In order to keep up to date with everything that's relevant to Pretty Bald, I'm subscribed to a number of alerts that send me updates on anything and everything. One that caught my eye this week was a link to a forum post on the My Fitness Pal forum, which was entitled 'Guys (or girls) would you date a girl that was bald?'.

I of course had to read it and it's quite clearly a conversation starter as there are currently three pages of replies!

Delving into the story, the original poster starts with her own story, highlighting her Alopecia Areata, which has recently been getting worse. In the last shedding she lost 80% of her hair and despite regrowth is curios to see whether the other followers would consider dating a bald girl. In her words she writes "I came across a post on a different website of women showing how afraid they were to take off their wigs or to tell their dates of their issues when I feel like it's nothing to be ashamed of. I've already accepted the way I am and happy with myself, if people can't see your inner beauty then what's the point? I'm genuinely curious though to see how most people view it considering that it's not really "socially acceptable" for women to not have any hair."

The responses to this post were overwhelmingly positive, but whether this is the reality or born of the desire not to appear 'horrible' on a forum, there were very few negative comments at all. There are a couple of really interesting comments worth a mention too...
  • "I would, I have known a few women who lost hair due to chemo, etc. and it didn't change their personality, just their looks. A woman can wear a wig, a scarf, or go out with a bald head -- it is her business, not mine."
  • "I think with treatment being so common that causes hair loss, it is socially acceptable (whether that matters or not is another story). I'm accepting and I actually like what some would consider 'different' hairstyles on women."
I know this is a question many new baldies ask, and often fear if they're not already in a relationship; whilst I'd like to say my own experience was totally positive, in fact I had to kiss my fair share of judgemental frogs before finding T.

At the end of the day, hair 'is just hair', even though it doesn't always feel that way and worrying too much or letting it affect confidence is more than likely the contributing factor rather than that actual hairloss. Remember, try to be confident and rock your hairloss the way you feel most comfortable (covered or not) and hopefully this question won't even need to cross your mind! Don't forget, Too Ugly For Love followed the very gorgeous Jen on her dating journey without hair and is available to watch on our YouTube channel...

Victoria x



www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment