Wednesday 18 February 2015

'Do I look like an Action Man?' #Hairloss #RealLife #Cancer #Alopecia

With lines such as 'Do I look like an Action Man?' and 'I'd rather lose my other breast than my hair', My New Hair is certainly an interesting watch!

My New Hair is a documentary filmed and aired on Scotland on STV. It follows a hair salon which offers replacement hair services and more importantly gives an insight into the lives, trials and tribulations of different women, with different types of Hairloss!

Whether going through cancer and chemotherapy, or losing your hair due to Alopecia, this documentary offers a very real, very raw insight into the fears we all have about losing our hair! Every minute of it, I identified with at least one thing each woman said, AND was able to relate their thoughts and feelings to part of my own journey past and present!

Despite a lot of positive feeling about this documentary, and it being definitely worth a watch (STV has done a really good job) it's not all thumbs up from me! In fact, the parts / people I have an issue with are those not experiencing hairloss at all - it's the hairdressers! Let me clarify...

I really and truly appreciate why hair salons opt to offer wig services; there's an inherent level of trust someone has with their hairdresser, people automatically assume they are qualified and then the commission isn't too bad either! Many do a good job, but unfortunately however, something which often happens is that despite being well-intentioned, the hairdresser try's to be 'normal' and ends up coming across patronising or blasé. For example, phrases like 'You'll be fine' and 'It's only for a wee while', which both appear in this programme, seriously underestimate the emotional and psychological impact of Hairloss. What's more, it makes it seem like 'something to deal with' much like a cold or flu, and that somehow, it'll all go away if you just grin and bear it!

One final point and that is don't settle for a wiggy wig! Some of the ones in the programme do little to flatter those wearing them and also, there are plenty of options that you can swim in, before you opt for a headache inducing suction-cap!

The documentary is available to watch on the Pretty Bald YouTube channel here, so don't forget to subscribe! Alternatively click play below.

One final point, no matter which Internet or PC we used, we couldn't get rid of the buffering, but the audio is pretty clear throughout!



Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk
Twitter @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment