Monday 15 June 2015

Meet Miss June, the sassy Kate...

It's about the middle of June (already?!) and I think it is about time that we meet our Miss June of the Pretty Bald 2015 Calendar!

Kate has Alopecia Universalis and lost her hair very rapidly over the course of two weeks, at the age of just 24. Despite buying a wig, it was one of the hardest things for her, saying "It was horrible. I liked the style but hated that it wasn't actual my hair. I hated how it felt, I hated that I had to actually put it on and take it off. I felt that I was lying to everyone by wearing the thing, and I felt less confident than I perhaps had ever done in my entire life. I wore it to work but other than that it remained shoved in a box with my shoes in a wardrobe. It stayed that way for almost a year."

For her, a turning point was the Alopecia UK Flashmob in September 2013, where she met others with alopecia for the first time. She says "I met people with alopecia from all walks and life and more importantly made friends who understood the things I had been through. I suddenly realised that I wasn't alone, I wasn't the bald girl anymore, and I was just one of a huge family of people. I found a new sense of belonging and a confidence to be whoever I wanted to be, I realised the importance of not allowing a condition to dictate the choices I make in life and to not let not having any hair stand in the way of what I wanted to do. Not a day goes by when I don't wish that I could wake up with my hair back but I am comfortable and confident with who I am now."

You can read more about Kate's story here...

The gorgeous Kate...
Enjoying Pimms as Miss June!
Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment