Sunday 14 June 2015

Wigs as an accessory...

The very first thing I did when looking for a wig was default to requesting a human hair wig, almost an exact colour, length and texture to my natural hair. It was about replacing / replicating my natural hair in a bid to ensure that nobody noticed or knew I had medical hairloss unless I wanted them to. At that moment my priority was discretion at all costs.

Unfortunately, my journey to finding the perfect wig wasn't a simple one! There was bad advice, poor fittings, unnatural hairstyles, not to mention the cost! I waded through too much information, and then alighted on a wig consultant who actually understood wigs! It was a revelation...

Since then, I have learned that actually wigs are great, either as a medical replacement for your hair, or merely as a FANTASTIC accessory that slots neatly into everyday life. For me, my original driver of discretion is a thing of the past and my wig is no longer a security blanket that gives me the confidence to be who I am.

You might have noticed that I am fascinated by hairloss - by its' causes and by its' effects. I love finding out how and why it affects different people and what they struggle with the most. Through these discussions, I have identified a number of common factors, which provide a good insight (and can sometimes be worrying) into the misconceptions of wigs...
  1. Wigs are expensive; and therefore do not provide a viable option, particularly with such poor NHS provision. Yes some are expensive, but there are also some fab, long-lasting, lightweight, comfortable and affordable wigs on the market which don't cost much more than a good-quality winter coat or pair of shoes from Dune. Wigs do not have to be expensive in order to offer a good solution to your hairloss.
  2. Wigs aren't the 'true' you; the hairloss community is very divided on the use of wigs. Some people are campaigning for their provision on the NHS, with an almost vehement assertion that we need to cover up, and others are almost the opposite, encouraging people to 'go bald' and be their true selves. Actually, neither is necessary and I myself have opted to use them as an accessory; a fashionable statement that enhances an outfit, a warm snuggly head cover when the wind is a bit nippy, and an option for my hairloss if I am feeling in the mood. It is about being comfortable in yourself, and the actions of others should not influence how you choose to deal with your own condition. RELATED POST: Why you shouldn't feel pressured to wear a wig...
  3. Human hair is the way forward; uh yeah, if you love styling hair and are happy to invest the time and effort, I own two human hair wigs and neither has been worn more than a handful of times. Unfortunately, for me they are high-maintenance and due to my lack of skills, often look more like a wig than some of my 'off the shelf' synthetic faves. Don't underestimate the versatility and quality of a synthetic wig - even five years ago they were heavy, unnatural, scratchy and ugly, but now they give natural hair a run for their money, are durable, low-maintenance and affordable. Get involved!
There is no right or wrong when it comes to wigs and each person will have their own approach; for some, only human hair will do, while others prefer to go au natural and have the confidence to do so! Great! Both sound good to me! I pick and choose according to my mood and no longer focus on the 'wig' as a covering, but more as an accessory - some outfits just look better with long curly hair, while others match a bald look and some just need a short crop or bob! Exceptional! I love this flexibility!

What got me thinking about this was a night out on a Hen Do last night! Into my bag, I packed my favourite beany (in case it got nippy), a short bob, and a long, curly number, along with a choice of outfits. In the end, we didn't even get a chance to change, but I LOVE having that flexibility in my back pocket!

Here is my range of looks...

Rocking the bald...
My staple bob - a synthetic wig...
Long curls - another synthetic...
What wigs do you opt for and when do you wear them?

Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment